Monday, April 18, 2011

I have been thinking a good deal about how I spend my time lately. The Bible commands us to number our days, to consider that we have only a limited time alloted to us for life on this earth. James refers to our lives as clouds of vapor that burn off in the early morning sun. Peter refers to life as grass, here today and gone tomorrow. Since our time is so limited, our earnest desire should be to make the most of it to the glory of God. In Ephesians Paul commands believers "to make the best use of the time, knowing that the days are evil." The pace of life in our society is stiffling. We run from one event to another. It seems our life just rushes by. What do we do? I don't know if I'm the best person to answer this question. It seems that my time has become more and more pressed as the years have gone by. Just the event calender at our church is enough to overwhelm me. And with 9 children there is always someone or something needed my attention! So, for a start, we must set priorities. What is most important? My time with God and my time with family are non-negotiables. I don't want the years to pass by and find myself distant in my relationship with God or my wife or my children. I want to be intentional in the way I spend my days. If I am not careful life will fill my calender for me. This is what Paul means when he says make the best use of your time. Don't neglect what is most important for what seems to be most pressing. This is my mid-year resolution. I hope I do better keeping this one than my new year's resolution for losing 20 pounds!

No comments: